Boo-Boo Causes Owie!

Whew, what a week. Last Tuesday I had an atomic bomb placed in my liver. Other than a little fatigue, I felt pretty darn good. Wednesday I had an appointment with Dr. P which included a physical that found him pressing on my newly nuked liver. No problem, felt fine, no pain and good to go. Dr. Z had prescribed a few oxycodone to get me thru the initial few days, but I hadn’t needed much. I hate to take narcotics. Fortunately I have a high pain tolerance.

Thursday was a whole different day. I woke up in intense pain. I needed my little pills. I was concerned as I looked at the calender of my planned activities: displaying my wares at the art fair on Saturday and Sunday, followed by a book presentation on Monday. Hard to sell art (even my brilliant renderings) or do public speaking when you’re grimacing in pain. Heck, there was no way I could make it through the weekend without some more narcs. Unfortunately Dr. Z is an hour drive away and you can’t fax or phone narcotic orders to the pharmacy so little Lee was gonna have to drive an hour north to get my drugs. This is rather unusual here in southern Arizona as you usually drive south get drugs. In any case  I called Dr. Z, got ahold of her Physicians Assistant and pleaded for DRUGS!!!!  The PA was taken aback. It was highly unusual for the level of pain to increase, let alone increase dramatically. She inquired if I had taken my Medrol, a steroid that reduces inflammation. I confirmed that I had taken them as prescribed, one 4mg pill Wednesday and one 4mg pill Thursday morning. There was a long pause on her end of the line. The prescription was for a Medrol Dosepak, which has the user take 21 tablets, taking several pills per day over a six day period, with six pills on the first day gradually reducing to one on the sixth day. The prescription I received was for 21 tablets with directions to take one pill per day for 21 days. By the time I spoke to the PA I should have already taken 9 pills instead of just the 2. As a result my liver was inflamed and elbowing my other organs causing severe pain. The PA immediately gave me new instructions for the remaining 19 pills and I felt much better by Friday morning. There was a fumble between the hospital nurse assigned to me who called in the prescription and the pharmacy, I don’t know who screwed up. But all is well now.

Friday through Monday morning I had the normal side effects of a Y-90 procedure: body ache, low grade fever, fatigue and heart burn……NO pain. Lee and I had a good art sale. We each sold several paintings and garnered some new commissions.  Per Lee’s suggestion, I also took some of my books to the sale. This gave me the opportunity to not only sell a few books, but also talk to people about dealing with crappy diseases. 

Sunday morning my column appeared in the Green Valley News, with a feature box highlighting my book presentation on Monday afternoon. Fortunately by Monday afternoon the body ache and fever disappeared and I was my normal goofy self for my “standing room only”presentation (one person had to stand). 

Today is Election Day, hopefully you all voted. As I’m sure most of you do, I hate all the advertising and bumper stickers during these times. But yesterday I spotted this bumper sticker to which  I heart fully and with no restraint agree:


15 thoughts on “Boo-Boo Causes Owie!

  1. rats. I hate the mess-up. I thought you looked so happy and totally comfortable when I first saw you at the art sale that the nuking hadn’t bother you a bit. HAH!. well, that’s straightened out. good grief.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. I will never forget meeting you and Lee–so smart, humble, human–and I to continue to learn from you and your art !! and humor. Your work delights and astonishs me. I give you all my blessings for peace and happiness. Thank you thank you thank you

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you Sue. I should have looked you up while I was at TMC for my nuking. I did a talk with a palliative care nurse for Arizona Oncology recently and plan on doing more. I hope you are doing well.


  3. Hi Jim,
    So sorry to hear about the mixup with your pain pills, but HAPPY you got it all straightened out. Loved seeing your’s and Lees paintings, here in email. Glad you made it to art show. All my best, Sandi

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Glad to hear that you figured out that BOO-BOO situation pretty quickly.. resulting in no more OWIE! It’s astonishing how often that kind of thing occurs. STAY VIGILANT!

    Last night was a BIG,BIG BOO-BOO causing a HUMUNGOUS OWIE for so many and there’s an ILL WIND BLOWING this morning! We need the DUCK to help us navigate these turbulent waters!!!

    Your presentation Monday was informative and inspiring on so many levels. Having worked in Hospice Care both in home and at Peppi’s House TMC, your stance on palliative care makes so much sense. You’re a good man Jimmy Asell…keep on doing your good stuff!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s